Barbecue not really happening, and a ketchup recipe
Disclaimer: It’s always grilling here, not true Barbecue at very low temperatures where you cook meat over the course of a day or so..
- 500g “single” tomato purée (“passata”)
- 20g brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, ground. Or mustard powder
- 1/3 tsp all-spice, ground
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 50g white wine vinegar
- 50g powdered sugar
- 1-2 tsp salt
- More white-whine vinegar to taste
- Honey to taste, which also gives a creamy finish
- Spices like chile, mace, curry,etc. to taste
Mix tomator purée, brown sugar, mustard seeds, all-spice and onion and bring to the boil, then let simmer for 30 minutes. Blend to a smooth concistency. Caramalize the powdered sugar in a pan, add the vinegar and reduce liquid by one half, which takes only a couple of seconds. Add to the cooked tomato purée. Add salt and vinegar to taste, add more spices if you like.